Who Will Benefit? Where Will the Proceeds Go?Within the Support Our Troops Program, there are several initiatives designed to provide much needed assistance to current and former serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces. The Support Our Troops Gala fundraising committee made the decision to choose two of the core programs. A description of the programs we have selected is provided below:
The Military Families Fund
- The Military Families Fund (MFF) was established in 2007 in response to the generous outpouring of support from Canadians to families of the fallen and to Canadian Armed Forces members returning from theatre with serious injuries.
- The MFF allows the chain of command to quickly respond to unique, unforeseen and often immediate needs of military members and their families. The MFF has assisted thousands of military members and their families with financial support.
- Some examples of individual support include: basic needs (rent, power, family recovery); medical, dental, mental health; domestic family counselling; special tutoring for dependants; home renovations (ill/injured/family); and special needs children (equipment, testing, camps.)
- The MFF provides program support. Some examples include: summer camp for children of the fallen or deployed members; skills development of Base/Wing Recreation staff to support their summer programs for military families, assistance to Homeless Veterans; and retreats for families affected by Operational Stress Injuries.
- New this year, the MFF will expand its program to include a Distress and Prevention Loan Program.
The Soldier On Program
- The Soldier On Program was created in 2006 to empower serving and former members of the Canadian Armed Forces with a permanent or chronic physical or mental health injury/illness, to adopt an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Serving more than 900 ill/injured members and their families, the Soldier On fund provides individual support (including grants for equipment, travel and event entry fees) and offers clinics and camps that promote sporting and recreational activities.
- The Soldier On Program is an invaluable service through which moral support is provided to members recovering from an illness/injury and connects those with like challenges and experiences.
For more information contact us at: